Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ophthalmology Dept.

I had to go and have an eye check today, all part of the process to determine to a second bunch of people that I am indeed as visually-impaired as the first bunch of people said. The trouble was the first bunch failed to fill out or submit the paperwork properly and so I was pretty much standing on square one today.

But hey, we got there in the end. The wheels of bureaucracy (damn, that word is hard to spell) are now oiled and slowly turning. I have to see a guy on Tuesday who will advise me on what benefits I can claim between being made redundant and finding a new job, allowing me to get some qualifications under my belt. Must admit, I'm very impressed at the amount of assistance on tap for someone in my situation. And I'm not talking money handouts here, but people and organisations who I can call upon to give me a hand with every day difficulties. I'm probably too much of a curmudgeon to actually call on any of this help, but even my cynical heart was warmed to hear of their existence. Oh, and I'm getting two pairs of specs -- one for reading, the other for computer work -- and a free magnifying glass too. It's a pretty cool one. It doesn't just magnify writing, it boosts the contrast as well. I'm looking forward to getting that.

No comments: