Friday, November 04, 2005

Obliged

I watched 'Batman Begins' last night and thought that, on the whole, it was rather good. Christian Bale makes an excellent Bruce Wayne-cum-masked vigilante and the film faithfully represented the spirit of the comic books. Tim Burton's films, while possessing the required glossy darkness, were too . . . well, Tim Burton. As for Joel Schumacher's cobbled efforts [pun intended], the less said the better.

Anyway, I was watching 'Batman Begins', when the obligatory car chase made its inevitable appearance. And that got me thinking: it's almost impossible now to say 'car chase' without preceding it with the word 'obligatory'. If it's an action film there has to be the obligatory car chase, only as you are obliged to say obligatory, it's really an obligatory obligatory car chase, right? The point I'm making is . . . um, there is no point, I suppose. Other than I wish they wouldn't do obligatory car chases. They are boring. Even when they are on motorbikes a la 'Matrix Reloaded' or 'Paycheck' they see me wandering off to make myself some cheese and crackers or put the kettle on.

I've borrowed 'The Aviator' to watch next. I daresay it will have an obligatory plane crash.

No comments: