Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Dead Kopf!

I was browsing the writers' market website, Ralan.com, today, when I noticed that Kopfhalter! (German: Head holder) magazine has gone belly up after only three issues. This saddened as I had a story called 'Memory Bones' in the debut issue. The editor, Keith Gouveia was great to work with and I was contacted by a photographer -- he had been commissioned to illustrate the story -- to see if there was anything I wanted to see in his photo. I requested daisies and lo! I got daisies. I felt like a star! Notable contributers included Kevin L. Donihe, Kurt Newton and Irving Washington, with a reprint of the classic 'Sleepy Hollow'. I looked forward to seeing the finished magazine with glee.

My contributer copy arrived. Was it as good as I hoped? Well . . . it was one of those quirky publications that you just knew was destined for a hard time of it. It featured bizarre and unfathomable cartoon strips and off-the-wall formatting with lots of half-blank pages. Nice, glossy magazine with good production values, but ultimately, I felt, too arty to succeed. I'm sorry to be proved right.

Issue 1 is now downloadable in pdf format. Click on the link below. Read the cartoons by all means, but if you understand them, keep it to yourself. My story is quite possibly the least insane thing in there.

http://www.coscomentertainment.com/KopfhalterNo1Vol1Ver3.pdf

No comments: