Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Kasper Clarke is a pain in the . . . neck

There's this story I've been writing, on and off, for nearly a year. 'The Reconstruction of Kasper Clarke'. This story (11500 words and rising) is becoming a millstone around my neck. I've lost count of how many times I've given up on it, only to go back to it convinced that I have the missing 'something' to make it work. I've written half a dozen stories or more meanwhile, but this one somehow dodges my best efforts to nail it down. Worse, with continually picking it up and putting it down, I suspect it is, if you will forgive the writerly jargon, bitty.

Did you know Jack Kerouac wrote 'On the Road' in 14 days? And that Bret Easton Ellis wrote a 4,000 page draft of 'Less than Zero' in a month? Hell, the only way I could match that sort of output would be to lodge a pebble on my keyboard, although I doubt 500 pages of bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb would find a market. Then again, people seem to enjoy Dave & Leigh Eddings.

So what is the secret of high productivity? Well, Kerouac was addicted to Benzedrine most of his adult life, and Ellis was in a crystal meth haze when he did that monumental draft of 'Less than Zero', so maybe narcotics is the answer. Hmm. Think I'll find a pebble instead.

"It was a dark and stormy nightttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

No comments: