Friday, December 09, 2005

Building societies can be nice

I spoke to my financial advisor yesterday (yes, I have a financial advisor - a pukka independent one too) about the disappointment over my new mortgage rates, and he said give em a ring. But, I said, if they've told me that the rate is 6.5% then surely that's what they are offering? Not necessarily, he said. Ring em and tell em it's not good enough. So I did ring em, and they offered me 5%, just like that. Did I want a tracker mortgage, fixed rate, over 2, 3, 5 or 10 years....? They couldn't have been more helpful. They were brilliant. So why didn't they outline these products to me, rather than automatically choosing a shit one on my behalf?

Don't these people ever do anything in the customer's best interests anymore?

Probably not. I remember the aggro of changing my mortgage over to a the current lender a couple of years ago. I got a letter from the previous lender informing me that as I was curtailing my mortgage with them before it was due to finish on the 6th of November, I would have to pay a fee of £800. WHAT?! But I'd told the new lender not to start things until the old one had ran out. I got the number and phoned the solicitor taking care of the transaction on behalf of the new lender, and he said "So you want me to hold fire until the 6th of November?" He was fully aware of the termination date, and that I'd have to pay a penalty, but he had still gone ahead and started the new mortgage on the 2nd of November. For the sake of waiting four days, he nearly landed with a bill for £800. And all the parties concerned knew this! No one said "Hang about, this is mental! I'm sure the client doesn't want to pay £800 when in another 4 days he can move for free." They just couldn't be arsed to act in my best interests.

And they wonder why no one trusts em anymore.

Oh God. I've turned into a Grumpy Old Man.

No comments: