Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Talented Mr Player

The anthology I'm co-editing is dropping into top gear. Yesterday I asked Stephen Player if he could do the cover for BADASS. I expected him to say no - he must be incredibly busy with teaching, book covers, commissions etc. as befits a talented and respected artist - but he said yeah, go on then.

Take a look for yourself:

http://www.playergallery.com/intro.html

We traded emails way back when I was doing a fanzine dedicated to Garry Kilworth (note: back issues of Spiral Words now only 50p). Steve agreed, as the illustrator on some of Garry's books, to be interviewed. He's such a lovely bloke, the genuine article as we say round here, and the interview was a great success. I sent him some books as a thank you. He gave me a painting. We stayed in touch for quite a while. But, sadly, the emails petered out when Heather came along, taking up a lot of my time, and Steve relocated to the US to live with his partner and took up a teaching post. I missed our daily chats.

I'm excited about this BADASS cover. Not just at having someone as good as Steve doing the artwork, although that is great, but at being able to work on something with him again. He's one of those people I can listen to (okay, it's email, wrong verb) for hours and I'm looking forward to going over his ideas for the cover as much as seeing the finished illustration. A definite plus of being an editor.

No comments: