Saturday, August 20, 2005

Miscellany, which is a poor heading when all's said and done

I recently came across this site called Flashshot:

http://members.tripod.com/flashshot/

They ask for fiction of less than 110 words. No payment, but 110 words! Heck, I like a challenge, so I scribbled out three stories and sent 'em in. They are pretty darned good though I do say so myself. If you want to read 'em then all you have to do is subscribe to Flashshot. Simply send a blank email to flashshotsubscribe@yahoo.ca and every day a little gem will drop into your inbox. What could be cooler than that, eh? Well, what is cooler is that they print a yearbook featuring 365 stories, too. My stories have been accepted but not yet scheduled.

As you have probably gathered I survived yesterday's bloodletting, which was a relief. Heather took good care of me. Her eyes were glued to the tube carrying the blood from my arm to the bottle under the bed. As we were leaving, we saw one of the staff climbing on his motorbike. Probably finished his shift and heading off home for his tea. But not according to Heather. "He's just taking your blood to the hospital, Dad, It's very important." And d'you know what? She made me feel important.

The author I alluded too in an earlier posting (The arrogance of writers) has backed down and agreed to let Chris Hall and I use the edited version of his story for the forthcoming BADASS anthology. But not without a grumble. He pointed to a change I made -- I cut a couple of words out of a paragraph to make it less cumbersome and a little more snappy -- saying the change "robs the paragraph of its grandeur and sweep". Like I said: arrogant, and pretentious with it. Grandeur and frigging sweep. Give me strength.

No comments: