Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The arrogance of writers

A good while ago, I was asked by Chris Hall to co-edit an anthology called BADASS HORROR. He'd already selected a few stories, would I take a look? This I did. The first story was by . . . someone who shall remain nameless. I found the usual handful of typographical errors that slip through the net and saw fit to change a few sentences here and there. Nothing much. I was conscious that this story was someone's baby: not for me to reshape.

Chris emailed the author the revised story. And the author threw a little tizzy! We either use the story as he submitted it or not at all.

"What do we do?" asked Chris.

I thought about this. "Well, we could point out that while every effort was made to retain the author's voice, certain changes had to be made -- as well as correcting typos -- to ensure readers could more clearly share his vision." Signed, Pompous Shite-talking Editor.

"Or we could tell him to **** off, Mike."

"Yes, Chris, we could do that."

We've taken the middle ground, asking the author exactly what it is he objects to. He has to accept some corrections, if not he's out. Have yet to hear from him.

Okay, an artist needs to be arrogant. What else makes one write a story and then send it to a publisher. Not only is he/she claiming to possess a certain amount of talent, but that other people will enjoy sharing the fruits of this talent. And by the way, where's the advance?

Heck, what is this weblog if not a conceit. I may justify it by saying that it's a way of keeping in touch with friends and a legitimate way of exercising my writing muscles, but really it's just a conceit. I like to write and want other people to see what I've written. A form of arrogance, surely?

Maybe I should sympathise, even admire this nameless author for his stance. But I don't. Only a fool refuses to take advice now and again. He should join a writers' workshop. Speaking of which, my story 'Pretty Useless Says' rises to the top of the Critter queue tomorrow. I am bracing myself for the usual plethora of odd comments among the helpful ones.

No comments: