Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Word counting

I did a spreadsheet. In column [a] I wrote the titles of my completed stories to date. In column [b] I entered the wordcount of those stories that have been accepted for publication, and in column [c] I placed the wordcounts of those stories I have yet to find a home for.

Results:
I have sold 15 stories over a thousand words in length.
I have sold/published 13 stories under a thousand words in length.
Total wordcount = 73,500 (not counting reprints).

In column [c] lies 5 stories over a 1000 words in length and numerous flash pieces and micros totalling 23,000 words,

I'm not counting the 90,000 word novel (because it's just too heartbreaking to think about!).

Conclusion: I have written and sold enough words to quaify for a collection. So publishers looking for an eclectic slection of SF, fantasy and horror fiction should form an orderly queue.

2 comments:

Gerard Brennan said...

So, what you waiting for?

I'd buy it.

Michael Stone said...

D'yer hear that Mr Gollancz, Messrs Harper and Collins? I've got a guaranteed sale.

Thanks, gb. (c: