Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Motorcycle Diaries (part 3)

Directly opposite to my sindow at work is a petrol station, and despite the proprieters banging the price up to a quid a litre, there have ben queues all day long. Which makes a pedestrian like me feel quite smug. If everybody had a Honda C70 -- 2000 miles on an eggcup of petrol -- we wouldn't be in this mess.

I sold my Honda C70 after it let me down while taking my test. This was just spite really, or maybe impatience to get my leg over a proper bike. But either way I sold it and bought a Yamaha RS125. I bought it from new for £600, at a time when most 125s were in the region of £1200, mainly because it wasn't fashionable like the DT or RD models. Like those it was a single cylinder 2-stroke, but air-cooled whereas they were water-cooled. My only real memory of this bike is riding it home from the shop: it felt enormous. I really felt as though I had to stretch to reach the bars. The bike was pretty small really, the 'BIG' effect was down to me being accustomed to the even smaller Honda C70. It was a pretty reliable little bike, apart from an annoying tendency to refuse to start when hot -- probably due to fuel evaporation or something -- and it got me through my test. Although a full license meant I was no longer restricted to 125cc, I kept the little RS for my daily transport for another year before selling it.

The next bike was another Yamaha, and a complete pig!

No comments: