Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Pigeon-holed

I haven't updated for a few days. I've got as far as logging on but stalled at the thought of spouting what's on my mind. Y'see, I've had a load of stuff in the post -- forms, letters, certificates and the like -- relating to my new 'blind' status. And it's getting me down a bit. I daresay all this stuff is to my benefit in the long run, but . . .

Take yesterday, for example. I had a visit from a social worker who demonstrated all the various aids I can have to keep me safe around the home and outdoors. Touch dials for cookers and washing machines, beepers that tell me when a cup I'm filling from the kettle is full, daylight bulbs, dense glasses, the white cane . . . A phrase she was fond of was 'keeping your independence'.

I don't need any of these things yet. I know I will do one day, and sooner than I'm willing to admit, and I do appreciate these kindly souls telling me they're there for when I need them. But not just yet, eh? I don't want to claim this, that and the other -- become a statistic. When I do, that's when I lose my independence as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: