Thursday, June 16, 2005

Rejection time again

Got another story rejection yesterday. 'The Emigrant' will not be published in the new magazine FARTHING then. I never let my hopes get too high, so when a story is rejected I'm not too disappointed. Disappointed, yes, but not too disappointed. Gary Fry at FUSING HORIZONS has already told me that he will gladly take 'The Emigrant' and another story called 'Sheep' for publication. But, I dunno, I was rather hoping to sell 'The Emigrant' to a more professional market . . .

I am a bit confused about what constitutes a good sale. I've seen writers with serious credentials let stories go to non-paying markets, something I've resisted doing so far. But then, some of my "sales" have been to markets where the pay has only been equal to the cover price of the book or magazine. Does that really count as a sale? FUSING HORIZONS is one such market. But FH is quite highly regarded in the small press and attracts good writers. So what to do? Perhaps I should send these two stories to Gary at FH and be glad to see them published?

I wrote a short, short story last night. 'Pretty Useless Says'. It took me rather by surprise as it isn't even one of the ideas that has been nudging me for these past few weeks. 900 words and finished in about 1.5 hours. But I shall probably spend another 20 hours polishing it!

No comments: